Miles Lost Miles Gained

Art and science combine to virtually restore lost rivers through digital maps, sculpture and intersecting tales of ecosystem destruction and restoration.

  • RSS

First ML/MG sculpture nearing completion

First ML/MG sculpture nearing completion

A small and dedicated team of volunteers from the Seattle District of the U.S Army Corps of Engineers, led by ML/MG founder and creative director Zac Corum, has been busy since early October building the first historic mile marker of the pre-industrial Duwamish River. The sculptural river mile marker, which is composed of rubble from the Elwha dam, is spanned by a steel interpretive sign. The morphology of the base, a cross, reflects the mile marker symbol found on modern maps, but also represents the diverging and intersecting trajectories of the Duwamish and Elwha rivers. The marker is being placed at the northernmost estimate of the location of river mile 1, based on the 1875 USC&G survey "T sheet". In the center of the sculpture, at the computed location of mile marker 1 is a brass survey bench mark, commemorating the historic river location. The long axis of the sign is aligned with the center of old river channel. The marker is next to the highly innovative Corps of Engineers headquarters building (entitled "Oxbow" by the architects), just off of Diagonal Way and Highway 99 in south Seattle.  In addition to the volunteer fabricators from the Corps, ML/MG is grateful to the many artists, photographers, and scientists who contributed to the research and design of the interpretive signage. Look for more news soon about the public commissioning of the historical mile marker, with acknowledgements of contributors and volunteers.